Sunday, November 4, 2007

The next chapter

Time to move on. We are going to have to close the business. I am not bitter so much as frustrated. I thought I knew how to do this on my own. Sales have slumped, only about 30% of what was projected. I do not regret this, I always wanted to do this and I tried it. I feel like I got a masters degree in the last 2 years. This is the toughest thing I have ever done, I cannot remember ever in my life working so hard. Being a small business owner is an experience that every person should try once. It makes you appreciate working for for someone else.

The thing I am looking forward to the most, aside from a paycheck, is getting sleep at night. I do not think I have had a good nights sleep in months. My family life is in a stressed state as well. This is not why I got into business for myself. It seems somewhere we lost out way. I am hoping that we will be able to get a fresh start. There is a job offering in the area that will pay very well and hopefully get us back on track.

Its funny the company I used to work for and laid me off wants me back badly. Its kinda nice to be wanted for what you do. I know I can cook well and run a very efficient kitchen. I guess there is something to be said for knowing your place in the world.

I have come to the conclusion that I have a obligation in this world. Not necessarily making a fortune but raising and keeping a family. I have learned in the last couple of months that there are simply some things in this world that are more important than lots of money. My wife and daughter give me more happiness than any amount of money ever could. Learning this has made the last 2 years almost worth it.

Looking ahead I find myself wanting simplicity. Keeping life comfortable. I let you know how it works out.

No comments: