Monday, November 19, 2007

Not all of us enjoy preparing for small groups

I have been reading alot of blogs lately related to foods.....I have also been watching After Hours with Daniel. I must agree that here in Indianapolis we seem to be the last stop on the culinary trend highway but at the same time we still eat here. While I really enjoy looking at the trends of what is coming to us here in middle earth there is also an insight into the thoughts of those folk thinking and it is not any different than my thinking and those of my chef friends here in the Circle City.



I am amazed at the arrogance of chefs and foodies that seem to think that production on anything more than 100 people is horrific. Yet when those chefs need to suddenly dazzle 3000 guest paying $250 a pop each they seem to suddenly have a need for guys like me. I produce on large scales I am not happy unless there are 500 people wanting to be feed. The Thomas Kellers of this world are most definitely needed. I have been an admirer of his for years. His sense of creation is amazing. Ferran Adria is one whom I laughed at and thought its just a fad it will go away Escoffierist like myself won't have to look at this new molecular cooking for long. Now I find myself googleing his recipes, for my edification. Although I see a day that chili's has a mango pork inside out ravioli with a lemon foam......that menu item took me 10 minutes to figure out.......maybe I should apply to apple bees for their corporate exec chef....



Brace yourself here comes the rant



While I do not feel the need to educate the world on my cuisine......leave that to the 22 year old culinary school grad.....I do feel that the more people I can expose to quality prepared food the job of elevating their palate may have been accomplished. The applebees, tgi fridays, and olive gardens of this world want to do nothing more than put a mediocre flavor on a plate while trying to make sure that they maintain the proper profit percentage. They don't care about what is being done to our sense of taste and enjoyment. The American palate is being slowly destroyed by honey jack chipotle quesadillas served with a chili ranch dressing. How can you taste anything in that?

No comments: